Monday, June 6, 2011

Loving Literacy

We had a guest speaker in class on Friday, Timothy Hamilton, and boy did he spark a passion for reading!  The way that books touched his soul was very inspiring.  I went into a reading degree because I wanted to further my knowledge on how to teach reading to students.  After class, I realized it's not just about teaching students to read the words on a page, but to teach them to enjoy reading and to become engrossed in the information presented to them.  This has inspired me to find the type of books students enjoy and help them to become as passionate about reading as Dr. Hamilton was in our class.  I have my summer reading list ready to start, how about you?

2 comments:

  1. I just blogged about him, also! What a great time that was! I was so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked out the Essential Literature books for Metro 4th grade today. Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters - Because of Winn-Dixie - Jeremy Thatcher: Dragon Hatcher - Shiloh - Henry Huggins - and - Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I can't wait to read them!
    - Kacie Oja

    ReplyDelete